Each year it seems to take less time to fly across the ocean and longer to drive to work. ~Author Unknown
We survived our first roadie as a family of three...but it wasn't pretty at times. Things seemed to start out just fine. We actually made it out of the house and were on the road ahead of schedule. We flew through LA with no trouble and then...everything took a terrible turn. The two right lanes of the 5 were closed down between Castaic Lake and Pyramid Lake and it took us 2 hours to get through the 14 mile jam. Argh. So, what started out as a 6 hour drive (maximum) turned into a 9 hour drive. Clare did great, I wasn't so amiable. I couldn't help but mention to Jonathan on more than one occasion that, "traffic like this is why we fly". Jonathan and I both come from a long line of "drivers". Jonathan has embraced his lineage, bless him. I, on the other hand, seem to have evolved into a flyer. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a drive as long as we are either going traffic free and proud or there are lots of stops along the way - you know...points of interest. When the drive turns into hours of just sitting in a car, stuck in traffic, I stop enjoying myself and can't help but think of where I'd be if only I'd flown.
 |
| Hmmm, what's wrong with this picture? There's Jonathan enjoying the sites with Clare and me, and then there's me - having to use the car as a changing station... |
Nonetheless, this trip was a fun mix of time with family, friends and nature. We hiked up a little bit of Mission Peak with James (Clare wasn't loving the hike as much as we would have liked). We made it to the Giants/Phillies game on what just so happened to be Virgin America day where we were the happy recipients of some 2 for 1 flight vouchers (alright, I admit...that is the ENTIRE reason we went to SF...but really, 1/2 off of ANY Virgin America flight is worth the trip to see the Giants play).
 |
| Clare was born to hike (and catch rides from mama) |
 |
| Clare hit her first ball with daddy at the Giants game |
 |
| Another fantastic visit to one of our favorite cities |
We explored the CA coastline, driving down PCH and 101 through Carmel, Big Sur and San Simeon. While stopped at a vista point along the Big Sur drive, not one, but two California Condors flew right by us - the pictures I took of these birds will show you just how close we were to them.
 |
| One condor was tagged with a # 4, the other with a # 38 |
 |
| The coastline was beautiful |
We all experienced a lot of firsts on this trip. This was my first time seeing a condor...ever. This was Jonathan's first time experiencing the drive along this part of the California coastline. And, this was Clare's first road trip, Giants game, seal watching experience, hike up Mission Peak and she even had her first taste of a Krispy Kreme doughnut (she can thank her daddy for that sugary little treat).
 |
| Clare's 1st attempt at riding shotgun, 1st Krispy Kreme experience and 1st seal experience |
After a night in Cambria, we headed home, but not before making a couple last stops. First we visited Solvang for a little taste of Denmark and then we headed over to the Santa Barbara Zoo to commune with some animals. Needless to say, we packed a lot of fun into 3 1/2 short days, but we had a blast. I may even consider driving again...in a few years.
 |
| Clare in the gardens at the Cambria Pines Lodge |
 |
| Clare had a great time visiting Solvang |
 |
| Clare loved the animals and even perfected some new animal noises... |
I'm wishing I could have warned you! We drove up the 405/101 to Santa Rosa on Friday (awful, awful traffic and then extreme fog thru San Fran) to my brothers' wedding and then came back down the 5 on Sunday... we hit all that construction too! It was terrible both ways.
ReplyDeleteWe didn't fly since all of us were going and $1500 to fly seemed like too much -- but after 23+ hours of driving in 3 days - we felt the money would have been worth it. Sounds like you all had fun anyway!
xo