Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Margaret Lou Watson Baldwin

Grandmas never run out of hugs or cookies.  ~Author Unknown



Sadly, during all the excitement over the past few weeks, we received some bad news.  My maternal grandmother passed away on February 26th, the day before Clare and Jonathan's birthday.  We knew she was not doing well, and we were able to go say goodbye to her on the 25th, but that doesn't take the sting out of losing someone I loved so much.






My grandma was an amazing woman.  She was extraordinarily strong, kind, fair, and fun.  She loved her Lord, her family and helping others.  Grandma was generous in all she did, whether it was in baking the best cookies I've ever had (and always having a full cookie jar just in case one of us would stop by), cooking us delicious meals, sewing quilts, crocheting afghans, or, for the girls, at least, stitching matching dresses for us and our cabbage patch dolls (my personal favorite).  Grandma spent time corresponding to prisoners with the hope that she could share the good news of the Lord and offer them hope through Him.  She supported single mother's by donating money, knitting and crocheting hats, booties, etc. and writing letters of encouragement.  She married the love of her life and devoted herself to supporting her husband, daughters, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.  She was a constant source of love and calm and she always had some great stories about growing up on a farm in Oklahoma with 8 brothers who got up to all kinds of mischief...and encouraged her to do the same.  I will miss her laugh, her sweetness and her stories.

Grandma and Grandpa
Welcoming Jake home
Celebrating Christmas
Before I had children of my own, my favorite memories of Grandma were of when she would stay with us while my parents went away on a trip.  Grandma always came equipped.  She had a ridiculous amount of homemade cookies on hand, brought our favorite games, and lots of great stories, and we would sit and play Uno, Skipbo and dominoes until the sun went down.  These are things that really don't sound like much, but with Grandma we always had a blast.  I can still see her smiling eyes and hear her sweet giggle just before she beat us at whatever game we were playing.  We would also stay with her and Grandpa every now and then and they would let us "camp" in their living room and listen to their little am radio where we'd hear old Green Hornet stories.  It didn't matter how old we got, it was always fun.

Holding brand new baby Clare
Holding brand new baby Laurel
Cuddling Laurel this past Halloween.
Posing with a young Clare
Learning that Clare was going to be a big sister
Once I had the girls, though, my old favorite memories were replaced with new favorite memories.  I absolutely LOVED watching her hold my babies.  I loved watching her light up when they entered the room.  I loved watching her as she bragged about them to anyone who would listen.  I loved watching her cuddle them, sing to them, and love on them.  Most of all, I love when Clare asks to visit Grandma and Grandpa.  It is hard when she asks now, but it is still so very sweet.

Christmas Eve, 2012


We celebrated Grandma's life on March 9th.  It was the first time since my dad's memorial service in 2001, that all of the grandchildren were together.  My grandma would have absolutely loved that we took this opportunity to catch up on each other's lives and reminisce about the past.  My Grandpa bravely sat by and watched his family gather to honor the love of his life, and I know that he felt a great amount of joy watching his great grandchildren play together his grandchildren we re-connected.  This was exactly how Grandma, who loved life and the people in her life, would have wanted us to celebrate her.

My cousins, brothers and grandpa
My grandpa, mom and brothers

1 comment:

  1. A lovely tribute to what must have been an incredible woman... she had a hand in making you who you are today -- a great gal that we love very much. xo

    ReplyDelete