Thursday, May 23, 2013

Happy Birthday, Laurel Elizabeth!!

Because time itself is like a spiral, something special happens on your birthday each year: The same energy that God invested in you at birth is present once again.  ~ Menachem Mendel Schneerson


One year ago today, my life was completely turned upside down.  We had been waiting to meet baby Dease since we learned I was pregnant in October, and we thought we only had a couple more weeks until that would be a reality.  We didn't know if this baby would be a boy or a girl, but we knew that they were an integral part of our family, and would complete us in ways that only a child can.  We were blessed with a beautiful, perfect, tiny little girl who we named Laurel Elizabeth.  And then, we were told that she wasn't quite as healthy as she looked.




You can read the details of the scary events surrounding Laurel's start here and here. 




Nothing scares a parent, or makes them really FEEL the depth of the love that they have for a child quite like the feeling of complete helplessness when it comes to that child's well-being. 



Today, I can't believe that my baby is one.  While she was in the NICU, I  was so focused on getting her healthy and home that my world kind of got caught up in the here and now.  Once we were all home and settled in, the normal busy took over and my thoughts really never strayed to the fact that time was flying by.  Now, I am in awe of the fact that Laurel has only been here for one year since it feels like she's been a part of this family forever, and at the same time, I can't believe that it has already been one year since I met this little cuddle-bug.  It feels like it was just yesterday that I was holding my perfect 6 lb baby girl for the very first time.


Nonetheless, this little happy girl is well established in the Dease house, and rest assured, she has blessed this family abundantly.  From the beginning we knew that she had some serious spirit and tenacity.  She fought her way out of the NICU sooner than the neonatologists or her neonatal pediatric doctor thought she would.


Smiling comes naturally to this little girl.  She was smiling from day one and hasn't stopped.  She is a happy, bright girl with lots of smiles and sweetness.





Laurel does not have a poker face.  If you are wondering what kind of trouble she's up to, just look at her face.  Her mischievous grin, furrowed brow, bright smile and determined eyes will tell you where she's headed.  I love this about her.  Her expressive nature brings me much joy!








She's a mama's girl.  I love that she wants to cuddle with me and cover me in kisses. 





She adores her daddy.  Daddy can make this little girl laugh uncontrollably, and it is so stinking cute!




She worships the ground her sister walks on.  Clare can bring out the mischief in Laurel like nobody else.  I love watching these two sisters play and love on each other.





She is the number one sneaker of food to Munich.  The dog is in heaven now that there is a little munchkin on the scene who is happily throwing her food and letting her eat out of her hand.  Munich loves this stage and will gladly let Laurel lay on top of her, crawl all over her and give her big, wet kisses, because the reward is that ridiculous amounts of animal crackers, banana, peas, chicken, etc. are literally falling from the heavens, right around Laurels highchair. 





She's a game player.  She loves doing things to get our goat - both good and bad.  Peek-a-boo is, of course, a favorite go to game.


  

I pinch myself whenever I look at my family.  They are truly my dream come true, and I can't imagine how I lived life without them in it.  I am so grateful for my sweet Laurel's health, spirit and determination as I celebrate her today, and thank God for allowing me to raise this beautiful little girl.

3 comments:

  1. This year has been such a journey....from the shock of the NICU to the unbelievable joy of sharing a million smiles a day!!! Nothing makes me feel more loved than to see her little arms reach for me, or when she snuggles close to me, puts her thumb in her mouth and just cuddles. She is the most amazing and sweet child. I love when Laurel calls out for Clare to play, or when she plays her version of Hide and Seek. I am so looking forward to the year to come. Yes Laurel....you are the magical addition to the most lovely family. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot believe she is ONE! Gosh time flies by. That last pic is absolutely precious. Happy Birthday sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last picture is SO sweet! They all are. I can't believe your little bug is one. Love BOTH of your beautiful girls more than words. Happy Birthday Laurel Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete