If a building looks better under construction than it does when finished, then it's a failure. ~Doug Coupland
Disclaimer: This post was supposed to be short. It should have ended at Day 5....
We recently noticed that our downstairs shower was leaking. The baseboards and wall showed clear signs of water damage. We called out the plumbers to find the source of the leak and we were told that it was a result of some cracked tile in the shower (a condition we inherited when Jonathan bought the house nearly 10 years ago). The plumber "educated" me on how after years of water seepage, the dam (the portion of the shower that is raised from the floor to keep the water on the drain side of the shower), was saturated causing the inevitable water damage. The plumber went on to break the news that the only sure remedy was to re-tile the shower; sealing it wasn't an option. Argh!
Armed with this information, and the invaluable assistance of Uncle Galen, we started the process of finding good tilers, good tile and good deals.
We found a company that we felt great about, and the best part was that the entire estimate from beginning to end would take a mere 5 days. They started last Monday the 21st and assured us that they, "would be done by Friday" since the plumbers verified the leak was simply failed tile. Jonathan just happened to have a conference that took him out of town and to the exclusive Alisal Ranch that week, so he thought that would be perfect timing, I'm sure.
Day 1: Monday, went perfectly. The guys came in, layed down floor protectors, put plastic tarps over everything, opened all our windows and doors, and 4 hours later, after being certain that our house would crumble to the ground for all the shaking that occurred, the shower was gone. G.O.N.E. Wow! The guys informed us that the leak wasn't cracked tiles, it was our faulty shower pan (awesome). We were replacing that anyway...so that had no bearing on the work being done, it was just good to know. The guys cleaned up the mess from the demo, and except for some serious dust, the floor protectors and the sweet sound of whirring fans drying the studs of our shower area, there was no sign that our new friends had even been here.
Day 2: Tuesday, started with a bang. We had all the tile here and ready to go. The plan was to fix the plumbing (while they were at it, we had them raise the shower head a foot or so), create our soap niche, put up the drywall, float the shower pan and seal the whole thing up to make sure it was all waterproof. Everything seemed to be going great, and then it happened. The inevitable uh-oh occurred. It turns out it wasn't our shower pan that was leaking, it was our P trap, the drain and pipes under the foundation of the house. NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Day 3: Wednesday, which should have been the beginning of our tiling, was instead the beginning of our floor being jackhammered. If you haven't had the great pleasure of working, entertaining two children under the age of 3, ensuring your German Shepherd doesn't leave your home for another, quieter, cleaner one, while enduring the sweet sounds of a jackhammer destroying your bathroom foundation, well then you haven't lived. During this lovely day of construction, our electricity was blown, twice, and the dust that I had painstakingly cleaned up after day 1, returned.
Day 4: Thursday came and went without construction, but with a whole lot of rain. I didn't bother cleaning the floors or dusting the pictures. What is the point when the next day will just bring a lot of people tracking mud and dust in? Yes that is a sure sign of defeat, but whatever.
Day 5: Friday, the rain stuck around, but we finally saw some progress. Our lovely shower turned orange as the shower pan was floated and the walls and floor were waterproofed. I was so hopeful as I said goodbye to the tilers that they would say "yes" when I asked if they'd be back in the morning. However, that was not to be. Instead, they informed me that the pan and shower sealer needed to "cure" and that they would be back on Monday. It will only take 3 (or so) more days after that. So, it seems that what should have been done on Friday will be done on Wednesday.
Day 6: Saturday, Clare (a.k.a. Minnie Mouse) decides that she's really going to take her wiping skills to the next level. After flushing an indeterminate amount of toilet paper (at least 1/4 to 1/2 a roll), the upstairs toilet overflowed. Clare, not knowing what to do, flushed again and then again. It was only about 5 seconds before I was in the bathroom and had the water turned off, but that was enough time to flood the entire bathroom and landing...oh and to find water dripping through the vent in the downstairs bathroom. Joy of joys...will this never end? The good news: Jonathan is home and I'm on strike! Hooray.
Day 7: Sunday, we're still here - with paper on the floor, dust and stuff everywhere and furniture askew.
Day 8: Monday, let the tiling begin. And then let it come to an abrupt end. We are 3 boxes short of tile. How this occurred isn't important at this point. All I hear is that we won't be able to get these 3 additional boxes until tomorrow making me wonder what kind of delay this will cause. Grrrrr!
Day 9: Tuesday, let the tiling commence...again. The good news is that the tile shortage of yesterday does not appear to be cause for delay. The bad news is that Clare, Laurel, Munich and I are all sick of listening to a tile saw cut tile all day. Oh well, small price to pay for a new shower!
Day 10: Wednesday, almost there. This marks the last day of tiling and grouting. The shower is curing and I am ready to paint, paint, paint! The shower looks great and we've changed our mind about re-using our old shower doors. This is monumental considering our quest to save $$. Now, we thought this would be done, TODAY, but apparently, they meant the tile would be done today, not the project seeing as there is still no door and there is no hardware in the shower.
Day 11: Thursday, hmmm. After Jonathan and I decided on new doors and called to discuss what the change would entail, we learned that it wouldn't delay a thing. They would still be there Friday morning to install, with new shower doors in hand. Huh?!? Friday?!! So, I painted the bathroom to be sure not a day of this never-ending project is wasted.
Day 12: Friday, shower doors have been installed. Shower head and faucet have been installed. I didn't shower this morning in anticipation of my ability to shower in the completed masterpiece. However, I was informed that I had to wait for the silicone to dry...overnight.
Day 13: Saturday, I have officially showered in my new, beautiful shower. The general consensus amongst my friends and neighbors is that the wait was worth it. I have to say I completely agree. We LOVE the new shower. Jonathan is particularly fond of the raised shower head. We are finding that our shower time has increased and we are feeling pretty squeaky clean these days. So, if we are smelling a little sweeter the next time you see us, you'll know why.
Day 8: Monday, let the tiling begin. And then let it come to an abrupt end. We are 3 boxes short of tile. How this occurred isn't important at this point. All I hear is that we won't be able to get these 3 additional boxes until tomorrow making me wonder what kind of delay this will cause. Grrrrr!
Day 9: Tuesday, let the tiling commence...again. The good news is that the tile shortage of yesterday does not appear to be cause for delay. The bad news is that Clare, Laurel, Munich and I are all sick of listening to a tile saw cut tile all day. Oh well, small price to pay for a new shower!
Day 10: Wednesday, almost there. This marks the last day of tiling and grouting. The shower is curing and I am ready to paint, paint, paint! The shower looks great and we've changed our mind about re-using our old shower doors. This is monumental considering our quest to save $$. Now, we thought this would be done, TODAY, but apparently, they meant the tile would be done today, not the project seeing as there is still no door and there is no hardware in the shower.
Day 11: Thursday, hmmm. After Jonathan and I decided on new doors and called to discuss what the change would entail, we learned that it wouldn't delay a thing. They would still be there Friday morning to install, with new shower doors in hand. Huh?!? Friday?!! So, I painted the bathroom to be sure not a day of this never-ending project is wasted.
Day 12: Friday, shower doors have been installed. Shower head and faucet have been installed. I didn't shower this morning in anticipation of my ability to shower in the completed masterpiece. However, I was informed that I had to wait for the silicone to dry...overnight.
THE END!!!!!













Will see you all ( and the new shower) in the morning. I can't wait!!! XXX
ReplyDeleteIt is absolutely BEEE-U-TEE-FUL!!! And, like childbirth, I bet all the pain and agony was forgotten the moment you saw that gorgeous thing.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy! xoxo
Ha - yes, Leesie, tht's true. I've even begun encouraging others to make the leap and renovate! :)
DeleteIt looks amazing! If I had a bunch of buckaroos to spend I would jump right on that! :) Love how it turned out.
ReplyDelete