Thursday, March 15, 2012

Please Help Us "Care-a-Vann"

If children have the ability to ignore all odds and percentages, then maybe we can all learn from them. When you think about it, what other choice is there but to hope? We have two options, medically and emotionally: give up, or fight like hell.  ~ Lance Armstrong
Jonathan and I live in a community that sits in a very urban area.  It isn't a traditional residential neighborhood, but it suits us well because it allows us to walk to any number of restaurants, grocery stores, fresh produce stores, boutiques, parks, cafes, bars (something we haven't really taken advantage of since we started a family...) and is a quick bike ride to the beach.  Despite it's urban setting, in the center of it, there is a pool, kids pool, cabana and a huge greenbelt which makes it feel like we also live in a suburban environment.  Moreover, there are a number of families with dogs, young kids and similar interests which make our place even more amazing.
He who has a why to live can bear almost any how.  ~ Friedrich Nietzche
Despite living here together for 7 years now, we only recently became involved in our community.  After Munich and Clare entered the picture, we found ourselves utilizing the pool and greenbelt areas because all of our neighbors with their kids and dogs utilize it.  Over the past couple of years, as we enjoy regular summer parties and impromptu bbq's, we have really gotten to know the character of our neighbors, and I hate to break it to the rest of you - but we have the absolute best ones out there.
Attitude is a little thing makes a big difference.  ~ Winston Churchill
I could sing the praises of all these families, but there is one in particular, The Hewisons, that I want to talk about.  Mark is probably one of the warmest people you could meet.  He is welcoming, friendly and always has a kind word to say.  Vann, his wife, is beautiful, equally warm, open and welcoming, and is one of the strongest people I've ever met - seriously!  Their two girls, Ryley and Taylor are beautiful, outgoing and energetic.  Clare loves to try to keep up with them, and I have to say that for being 7 and 5, they are quite patient with her.
Remember, we all stumble, every one of us.  That's why it's a comfort to go hand in hand.  ~ Emily Kimbrough
Two years ago, Vann was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer.  While most of us would curl up and check out with such news, Vann and Mark decided to face this horrible disease head on and FIGHT.  Vann has undergone more chemotherapy and radiation over the past two years than anyone I've ever known before.  She has remained optimistic, involved in her girls lives, in her friends lives, and in her community.  She has remained hospitable under the most strenuous of circumstances; always opening the door to her home with a big smile and hug.  In 2010 Vann came very close to being in clinical remission, but her cancer is aggressive and seems to become tolerant to her treatments just before they work enough to make her a candidate for surgery.
The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it.  ~ C.C. Scott
As a result, Vann has basically tried every single available treatment out there.  Tumors continue to grow and, unfortunately, she and Mark recently learned that she is at a point where she has exhausted all treatment options currently on the market.  Because currently approved treatments have ceased to work, Vann was eligible to apply for clinical trials.  So, Vann recently tried to get into a clinical trial at UCLA, but sadly she was denied.  Upon hearing this, she and Mark met with her Oncologist who has put her back on an older chemotherapy until a new treatment comes to market (hopefully in the next couple of months) with the hope that it will slow the progression of her cancer.
Feed your faith and your fears will starve to death. ~ Author Unknown
Through all this, Vann has remained positive and full of hope. She continues to cherish her time with her family and friends.  Despite feeling sick and exhausted from this 2 year battle, Vann's smile continues to light up a room and she seems to be as much a support to her friends and family as they are for her.  Her spirit is so incredibly warm, that I just wish I could bottle it to share with you.
Some days there won't be a song in your heart.  Sing anyway. ~ Emory Austin
As you can all imagine, 2 years of cancer treatment has taken a toll on this family.  As a community, we have been cooking dinners and offering support to them, especially when Mark is working his shifts at the fire department, however, we realize that this isn't enough.  So, in an effort to further our support, I want to first ask you to keep Mark, Vann, Ryley and Taylor in your thoughts and prayers.  This family appreciates all the support we can provide and knowing people out there are praying for healing will help tremendously.
Physical strength is measured by what we can carry; spiritual by what we can bear. ~ Author Unknown
If you desire to do more to show your support for the Hewisons, a fundraiser called "Care-A-Vann" has begun and we are getting involved.  Care-a-Vann is an opportunity for all you gardeners out there to purchase some beautiful flowers (just in time for a little Spring gardening) and to support this family all at the same time.  The deadline to submit orders is March 25th, but if you are interested in purchasing any lovely plants for your garden, let me know and I'll be happy to send you additional information including a price chart for the various plants/flowers available.
Optimism is the foundation of courage. ~ Nicholas Murray Butler
Please visit The Hewison Family website where you can get to know this family better.  You can find updates on Vann's condition and even send in a donation to help her get the best medical treatments available so that she can continue to fight.
You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face.  ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Cancer is a horrible disease.  I lost my beloved father to it when he was only 51.  When he died, he left  a wife of 24 years, a 23 year old son, a 21 year old daughter and a 14 year old son to pick up the pieces of a shattered life.  I will do anything I can to help support other families who are fighting to survive this HORRIBLE disease.  As a mother, I want Vann to see her daughters grow up into the beautiful women they are sure to become.  As a child I want Ryley and Taylor to have many more years with their mother, and as a wife, I want Mark and Vann to grow old together as they dreamed they would.  I hope that each of you share my desires for this family and support them in some way whether prayerfully, monetarily or both.
Once you choose hope, anything's possible. ~ Christopher Reeve
Please send me a message if you would like more information on how to participate in the Care-a-Vann fundraiser or to donate to the family.

2 comments:

  1. Of course....tell me where to begin and what I can do to help. They are in my prayers. I will wait to hear from you. XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you mom Dease. I will send you an email with additional info and will show you the plants that you can choose from (if you are interested) on Tuesday. Prayers are very much appreciated!

      Delete