Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Elizabeth Grace Klinger

Grandma always made you feel she had been waiting to see just you all day and now the day was complete ~Marcy DeMaree

Enjoying the beach
On Thursday, April 7, 2011, Clare and I gassed up the car and headed out to Victorville to visit my Grandma and Uncle Galen.   We left the house a little later than we wanted to, but the drive was fast - we had a little weather, but no traffic.  Clare settled into her car seat and napped throughout the long drive so she could play once we arrived  Our visit was good.   Grandma has been ailing, but she looked great.  She had lost weight since we had seen her last, just a few weeks ago.  Nonetheless, she had enjoyed a day of "beautification" in eager anticipation of seeing my aunts, Kathy and Kristy who were flying in to spend a few days with her on Friday.  She couldn't hide her excitement about having two of her three daughters with her.  We spent 2 1/2 hours visiting, much longer than we intended, and then went to lunch with my mom before hitting the road in an effort to get out in front of traffic and weather.  We had been gone from Grandma's house all of 90 minutes when my mom called with the news; Grandma had just passed away.
Of course, I was in disbelief.  We had just left Grandma, how was it possible?  Thinking about things now, despite her "good" day, the truth is that Grandma had been prepared to go for quite some time.  She was anxious to be reunited with Grandpa, and my dad, and her parents, siblings and loved ones.  Grandma led a full and happy life, but ailed in her later years.  She lived long enough to watch her children and grandchildren grow into adults.  She met 21 great-grandchildren.  She passed peacefully, holding her son's hand, having just spent two hours singing songs with and blowing kisses to the youngest of her great-grandchildren; and getting those songs sung and kisses blown right back to her.
These facts do not lessen the sting that comes with knowing that I will never again get to sit and talk to my Grandma, ask her questions about the family and our history or to share stories with her, but they do help me focus on the 31 years of wonderful memories that we made together.  I am privileged to say that Elizabeth Grace Klinger was my Grandmother, who I loved and respected tremendously.







Grandma and Grandpa were married for 65 years
Clare brought Grandma great joy.

3 comments:

  1. An amazing woman! Love you so much Jilly and so happy that you were able to spend her last day with her. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. They always say that no one is gone when they remain in your heart. I love that you and Clare brightened her day. I know your Grandma was a wonderful woman and I was glad I got to be part of her family too. She will be missed....but always in my heart too. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful gift that day together was... how lucky for all of you!
    xo Leesie

    ReplyDelete